Friday, May 29, 2009

Whittier, Alaska


I have not posted in awhile, so consider this my catch up. Things are well on the ship and I have come into my groove after our second Alaska run. Just as I say this, one of my good friends is leaving the ship at the next Whitter turnaround in three days. I will be sad to see him go but his next contract will be awesome.








At the right is a good example of one of the dancers doing something (not pictured is the 4 other people dancing on chairs) and making chanting noises to whatever song was playing at the time, possibly Don't Stop Believing by Journey. The Alaska Inn in Whittier is the quaint establishment that makes the towny bar in La Crosse, WI look like upscale five star martini bars.

Every 14 days, we get to visit this bodega in the middle of a town where 90% of the residents live in a high rise and there is a bear that roams the streets occasionally in town. I knew it was a wonderful start to the night when one of the Australians tried to run after a Racoon because he thought they were pets you could play with.


Pictured below is our sound engineer from Mexico. This was our response to finding out the ship bar was closed one night before we could get down to buy libations for the night. Oh the joys of late night change overs. We have a habit of doing arm length photos which I will at some point show off.




It was an unexpected night.








Below is a picture as we were leaving victoria, Canada. It is one of the most beautiful places that i've visited since getting on the ship. I can easily see myself wanting to live there at some point.






Oh Victoria, I will hopefully see you again when we go back for another crossing.











We now are working seven days a week on the ship, doing 12 shows. I do not mind it because this is what I expected from this contract. It seems as though the dancers are getting burned out physically and emotionally. If I were in there position, I think that I would be feeling the same.

Despite the change from the Caribbean/Panama runs to Alaska/Vancouver, my days have become less taxing because we are now fully staffed. It is a good feeling to know that I know what I will be doing for the next 14 weeks and 2 days. Freelancing and summer stock theater are some things that I cannot express the joy that it brought to me while working those gigs but there is a bit of security in not living out of a suitcase and having a steady paycheck.

This does not mean that I won't go back on my time off but I have a lot of people/places to visit on my time off.



This is from the caribbean but it's still amazing.


1 comment:

Kate said...

I'm so jealous that you get to see all these places and do all these things, thank you so much for sharing them with us! :-) Miss you!